“ The year 2010 has been a remarkable year in the life of the Vedanta Society of Calgary[VSC,date of inception 1973],for the following reasons:
1. On September 30th,2010,the Vedanta Society of Calgary purchased the Westwinds complex at #405,4655-54th Avenue NE,Calgary,AB T3J3Z4[plan 0610915,lot 28]. The purchasing price of $278,000.00 was paid from the society’s AGLC[Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission] funds.The VSC gratefully acknowledges the AGLC for their permission of buying this place for VEDANTA CENTER. On behalf of the VSC,I would like to thank Mr. Kishore Arora,Mr.Vinay Dey and Mr.Rupak Datta for their effort in purchasing this place. Furthermore,immediatly after the possesion of this building a lot of work has been done.
2. The VSC applied and secured permission for the renovation of this place from the City of Calgary. The floor of the main hall was installed,walls were painted ,back door curtain installed, front sign
board and Dias etc. were put in the respective places within a month[ inaugural date was 30th.October,2010]and it was possible only due to the enormous time and energy spent by Mr. Vinay Dey and Mr. Rupak Datta. Furthermore, on behalf of the VSC, Mr.Dey and Mr.Datta purchased chairs, kitchen utilities , washrooms materials etc. so that the VEDANTA CENTER could go through the inaugural ceremony which was successfully held on 30th. October,2010.On behalf of the VSC, I would like to thank Mr. Vinay Dey and Mr. Rupak Datta for their contribution in developing the VEDANTA CENTER.All the cost incurred in the development[ materials and labour] of the VEDANTA CENTER came from the AGLC fund.
3. The ÏNAUGURAL CEREMONY”of the VEDANTA CENTER,held on 30th.October,2010,was extremely successful. The VEDANTA CENTER got the blessings from the President and the Vice-President of the Ramakrishna Mission [RKM],Presidents of the RKM-USA centers of SanFrancisco and Portland. ADORATION of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda was conducted by Revered Swami Kripamayanandaji, President of the Vedanta Society of Toronto, Canada. Inaugural lecture was given by VSC Spiritual Advisor Revered Swami Bhaskaranandaji, President of the Western Washington, Seattle, USA. The Inaugural Ceremony was attended by over one hundred people.
4. The VSC applied for the matching donation fund from the “Community Spirit Program”[CSP]of the Government of Alberta , in three successive years 2008,2009 and 2010.It has been a great pleasure to inform you that VSC received and used these funds as follows;
a] CSP- matching donation fund of 2008 was $2450.00.
This CSP -2008 fund of $2450.00 was donated to the library of Mount Royal University at Calgary and Calgary Public Library, to help purchase Hindu Philosophy books.
b] CSP-matching donation fund of 2009 was $10805.42.
From this CSP-2009 fund ,$10000.00 was donated to the Mount Royal University at Calgary to establish SWAMI VIVEKANANDA SCHOLARSHIP which will award one scholarship par
year in the amount of $1000.00 for ten years period ,to an undergraduate student who has demonstrated advocacy for PEACE and INCLUSIVENESS.Another $500.00 was donated to the Mustard Seed Lunch program. The rest of the fund $ 305.42 was spent to purchase books to
c] CSP-matching donation fund of 2010 was $4067.29.
This final matching donation fund of CSP was received in the month of May ,2011 and will be used to build VSC’ library at the VEDANTA CENTER.
5. It has been a great pleasure to inform you that the Vedanta Society of Calgary organized the “Interfaith Dialogue” at the VEDANTA CENTER on 29th.MAY,2011,2PM-4PM.Revered Swami Bhaskaranandaji ,President of the Western Washington,Seattle,USA, gave a talk on “Vedanta and Hinduism”with special emphasis on ” Ritualistic Worship and its utility in Hinduism”[ a synopsis of it was distributed to all the participants],followed by question and answer session.A few of the Interfaith participants extended an informal discussion with the Swamiji. More than eighty people attended this program. Refreshments were served at this program.
All the above achievement of the Vedanta Society of Calgary was possible only due to the grace of Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananmda. We pray to Sri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda for the good and success of all the Volunteers, members and Donors of the Vedanta Society of Calgary.
JOY SHRI RAMAKRISHNA”